Sunday, June 14, 2009

DESPERATE NEED (not my words)




Posting "big difference" made me sad, mostly because i was very sad when i wrote it. But then i read this piece from Kim Cooper's excellent book about neutral milk hotel's amazing album "in the aeroplane over the sea" (and if you dont own this album go get it now, really, sincerely) and it made me feel a lot better. This is a quote from Julian Koster, a multi-instrumentalist in the band:

"...there's something pure and infinite in you, that wants to come out of you, and can come out of no other person on the planet. That's what you've got to share, and that's as real and important as the fact that you're alive...nothing is going to give you that message, necessarily. In fact, most things are going to lead you away from it, sadly, because humanity is really confused at the moment. But you wouldn't exist if the universe didn't need you. And any time I encounter something beautiful that came out of a human somewhere, that's them, that's their own soul. That's just pure...it fills up your own soul, it makes you want to cry, it makes you glad you're alive, it lets you come out of you. And that's what we need: we desperately need you."

i mean, that's awesome. we're in rilke or krishnamurti territory here, and this guy is a fucking rock musician. says a lot for that band.



7 comments:

Paul said...

That is beautiful.

Mariana Soffer said...

Probably our mission is to find that something fascinating and fantastic in us, that something valuable that we have to offer.
That something that makes life worth living. For that we have to search inside, we have to avoid the distractions from things happenings outside, at least most of them.

Cocoyea said...

Wonderful quote. Thank for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This post and your previous post made me cry. I read this yesterday and had to go away and collect myself. That quote is something else. Extraordinary.
It has changed me to read that!

Mental Mist said...

That is an amazing quote, desperately needed in ennui times, have you read J Krishnamurthi? i had no idea he was known outside india!

Anonymous said...

I always thought that musicians were the only artists who had one up on the poets, only because we are, ultimately, music. Yeah 'Big Difference' was sad, but there's such a beauty in pain, Jason, and you captured it well. If you met me last year you would have seen just how preoccupied my work was with death, it was all I wrote about.

I really like what you said about existence, I look at it that way too. This is a an awesomely beautiful and inspiring post. Tonight I'm drinking Baileys, of all things.

Cheers

Jason Gusmann said...

thank you all so much. i'm serious about that album too! the words and the music are so beautiful and surreal and sexual and sweet. it's a combination i've never found completely equalled in my other records. very special.